- Feelings: Dictator or Indicator? by Brenna Kate Simonds
- The Bible and Homosexual Practice: An Overview of Some Issues
- Article by Asst. Prof. Robert Gagnon of Pittsburgh Theological Seminary
- “In Romans 5 and 7 Paul speaks of sin as an innate impulse operating in the human body, transmitted by an ancestor human, and never entirely within the control of human will. This is precisely how most homosexual-affirming advocates describe homosexual orientation today.”
- The Gift of Freedom by Brenna Kate Simonds
- Testimonies and Stories
- Parenting Resources Concerning Gender & Sexuality
- Academic, Theoretical Background: Theology, Psychology, etc.
- Advice, Counsel, Self-Help
Testimonies and Stories
- The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert by Rosaria Champagne Butterfield
Rosaria had a tenured position at a large university in a field for which she cared deeply. She owned two homes with her lesbian partner, in which they provided hospitality to students and activists that were looking to make a difference in the world. At the university, she was a respected advisor of students and her department’s curriculum. And then, in her late 30s, Rosaria encountered something that turned her world upside down: the idea that Christianity, a religion that she had regarded as problematic and sometimes downright damaging, might be right about who God is, an idea that flew in the face of the people and causes that she most loved.
- Destiny Bridge by Frank Worthen
This autobiography of one of the founders of the movement to help those impacted by same-sex attraction tells a tale of personal transformation and details events surrounding the founding of the Exodus network and one of the ministries that predated it.
- You Don’t Have to Be Gay by Jeff Konrad
This book is the story of the author and his main character’s (“Mike”) struggle with homosexuality, as told through excerpts of a lengthy letter exchange between the two men. The author tells about how he has experienced change and provides empathy and guidance to “Mike.” This book gives a good overview of current Christian thinking on homosexuality.
- How Will I Tell My Mother? A True Story of One Man’s Battle with Homosexuality & AIDS by Stephen & Jerry Arterburn
Written alongside his brother, Jerry, Stephen tells the story of Jerry’s struggle with homosexuality and the difficulties of resisting the allures of the homosexual lifestyle. After Jerry’s diagnosis of AIDS he is compelled to find a way out of homosexuality into a life lived with hope and freedom in Jesus.
Parenting Resources Concerning Gender & Sexuality
Mama Bear Apologetics Guide to Sexuality: Empowering Your Kids to Understand and Live Out God’s Design by Hillary Morgan Ferrer, Amy Davison
In the footsteps of the bestselling Mama Bear Apologetics comes this invaluable guide to training your kids to know and respect God’s design in a world that has rejected it. This book will equip you to…
- understand God’s design for gender, sex, marriage, and family as a beautiful portrait that reveals the nature of God Himself
- identify the tactics being used to trick children into adopting an unbiblical view of sexuality under the guise of Christian-sounding words like love, identity, tolerance, and justice
- teach your kids to treat those who hold different beliefs with gentle, Christlike compassion without compromising biblical values
Treading Boldly through a Pornographic World: A Field Guide for Parents by Daniel Weiss & Josh Glaser
In Treading Boldly through a Pornographic World, Daniel Weiss and Joshua Glaser offer practical and spiritual guidance for parents seeking to help their teens navigate this pornographic digital landscape. Combining the latest research with personal and professional experience to guide families into the goodness for which God created us all, the authors skillfully outline the steps necessary for parents to move beyond merely surviving pornography’s challenges onto a rewarding path where their children can truly thrive.
Academic, Theoretical Background: Theology, Psychology, etc.
- The Gay Gospel? (Originally titled A Strong Delusion) by Joe Dallas
Joe Dallas was a leader in the Metropolitan Community Church, a specifically homosexual denomination, before he had a major change of heart. In this book, he presents and confronts pro-gay theology in a direct yet compassionate way through scripture references. He provides the reader with a way to discuss the issues of this movement, while maintaining relationship with those who are struggling.
- The Bible and Homosexual Practice by Robert Gagnon
In this book, the author rigorously explores the many biblical texts that reference homosexuality. Through an exhaustive discussion of these texts, he is able to provide a holistic view of the Bible’s command against sexual relations between members of the same sex. He cautions the reader and scholar alike to avoid dismissing the commands of the Bible as irrelevant in Today’s society, and encourages all to consider the many resources we have to explore this issue fully.
- Ex-Gays? A Longitudinal Study of Religiously Mediated Change in Sexual Orientation by Mark Yarhouse & Stanton Jones
An academic study on the effectiveness of religiously based therapy, counseling, and support groups for effecting change in sexual orientation. Provides information on current therapeutic interventions utilized in the field today.
- What Does the Bible Really Teach about Homosexuality? by Kevin DeYoung
After examining key biblical passages in both the Old and New Testaments and the Bible’s overarching teaching regarding sexuality, DeYoung responds to popular objections raised by Christians and non-Christians alike, making this an indispensable resource for thinking through one of the most pressing issues of our day.
- Holy Sexuality and the Gospel: Sex, Desire, and Relationships Shaped by God’s Grand Story by Christopher Yuan
Forward by Rosaria Butterfield. From the author of Out of a Far Country, which details his dramatic conversion from an agnostic gay man who put his identity in his sexuality to a Bible professor who now puts his identity in Christ alone, comes a gospel-centered discussion of sex, desire, and relationships.Yuan explores the concept of holy sexuality—chastity in singleness or faithfulness in marriage—in a practical and relevant manner, equipping readers with an accessible yet robust theology of sexuality. Whether you want to share Christ with a loved one who identifies as gay or you’re wrestling with questions of identity yourself, this book will help you better understand sexuality in light of God’ grand story and realize that holy sexuality is actually good news for all.
Advice, Counsel, Self-Help
- Messy Grace: How a Pastor with Gay Parents Learned to Love Others Without Sacrificing Conviction by Caleb Kaltenbach
Caleb Kaltenbach was raised by LGBT parents, marched in gay pride parades as a youngster, and experienced firsthand the hatred and bitterness of some Christians toward his family.But then Caleb surprised everyone, including himself, by becoming a Christian… and a pastor.Very few issues in Christianity are as divisive as the acceptance of the LGBT community in the church. As a pastor and as a person with beloved family members living a gay lifestyle, Caleb had to face this issue with courage and grace.
- Growth into Manhood by Alan Medinger
Offers the reader a resource about the healthy characteristics of a mature man, and how to attain the life that is meant for him.
- Restoring Sexual Identity by Anne Paulk
Written for women, this book offers answers to questions for women facing lesbianism, as well as their friends and family. The author speaks from her own experiences, as well as those provided from an extensive survey conducted with former lesbians about same-sex attraction.
- Coming Out of Homosexuality by Bob Davies & Lori Rentzel
Do you want God’s will for your life—but struggle with gay or lesbian desires? In this practical guide, you’ll find answers to your questions about what it means to be a man or woman, how your past relates to your present tensions, how biblical principles apply to your daily life, and more. This book will open up a new level of freedom and depth of insight beyond what you had dreamed possible.
- Desires in Conflict by Joe Dallas
For more than a decade, Desires in Conflict has been the definitive “must-read” for those who wonder “Can a homosexual change?” This new edition with updated information offers more compelling reasons why the answer is “yes!”
- Practical Exercises for Men in Recovery of Same-Sex Attractions by James Phelan
A workbook of 80 exercises to help men recovering from same-sex attraction. This book offers behavioral and cognitive strategies, ways to regulate affect, as well as a helpful appendix/resource list and space for journaling.
- Pursuing Sexual Wholeness by Andrew Comiskey
Full of practical insights and scriptural support for anyone seeking to understand sexual brokenness and the pursuit of sexual wholeness in Christ. Andy chronicles the events of his departure from the homosexual lifestyle as well as using the examples of others.
- Healing Is a Choice by Steve Arterburn
Choosing to heal is up to you, but the ability to heal is found in the power of God. In this book, Stephen Arterburn lists choices that you can make to find healing and the lies you might be faced with as a barrier to your healing.
- Boundaries by Cloud & Townsend
Having clear boundaries is essential to a healthy, balanced lifestyle—they define who we are and who we are not. Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend offer biblically based guidance, showing us how to set healthy boundaries with our parents, spouses, children, friends, co-workers, and even ourselves.
- Safe People by Cloud & Townsend
Safe people are people who help drive emotional healing and character growth. Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend show how we can find the people who will help us down the path to healing and void those who may damage our emotional health.